Look at these sentences
1. Why was Ram awarded the special prize?
2. What were the items on the menu?
3. What is surgery?
4. He can do it. Can’t he?
5. Tilak was a patriot. Wasn’t he?
6. The train came late, didn’t it?
7. He doesn’t waste time. Does he?
8. Kumar isn’t in the office, is he?
9. Padma works hard. Doesn’t she?
10. We have gone wrong. Haven’t we?
In the above sentences, the first three must be answered giving a reason because they are called information or WH questions.
The remaining seven question tags don’t require an answer with information. You just have to say Yes or NO.
e.g.He can do it. Can’t he?
Yes. He can (if you think it that the person has the ability to do it)
No. He can’t (if you think that the person doesn’t have the ability to do it)
If the sentences have ‘be form’ verbs (am, is, are, was, were,) or ‘have form verbs’ (has, have, had) ‘do form’ verbs (do, does, did) or Modals (such as will, couild, can shall, should, may, etc.) the same verbs can be use in question tags.
If the sentence is positive the question tag should be negative.
e.g He can swim.This is a positive sentence. Don’t put a full stop at the end of the sentence. Put a coma and start with a negative form
He can swim, can’t he. (In this sentence, can is positive and can’t is negative)
He doesn’t waste time, does he? (In this sentence, doesn’t is the negative and the question tag does is positive)
IF THERE ARE MAIN VERBS IN THE SENTENCE, THEN WE HAVE TO FRAME HELPING VERBS FOR QUESTION TAGS.
e.g. He got a medal, didn’t he? (in this sentence, got is the main past tense verb and therefore the helping verb should also be in the past tense negative.
She prepares coffee, doesn’t she? (The main verb prepares is in the present tense and is used for third person singular. The helping verb used is doesn’t.
They go by bus, don’t they? (Main verb ‘go’’ is present tense and is used for third person plural. The helping verb used is don’t
IN ALL QUESTION TAGS, THE CONTRACTION FORM OF NOT MUST BE USED ACCORDING TO THE SENTENCE
REWRITE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE, ADDING APPROPRIATE TAG QUESTIONS
1. Mr. Dwarkanath is honest. (e.g. Mr.Dwarkanat is honest, isn’t he?)
2. Mrs. Lakshmi is not a teacher (e.g. Mrs. Lakshmi is not a teacher, is she?)
3. She was late for dinner
4. Theyi were not found in the office
5. The tige is cruel
6. Mahesh, Arati and Kalpana have answered all the questions
7. Mr. Hegde was in Delhi
8. Rahim will sell his car
9. Somaiah will not come today
10. She didn’t weep
11. We are going byi bus
12. Te teacher praised us
13. You broke the mirror
14. Our teachers guide us well
15. Shankar teachers us how to learn
16. One has to be careful in dealing with him
17. I don’t know who he is?
18. I am writing a letter
19. I am fond of reading
20. The deer runs fast
21. Let us begin the work
22. You never come in time
23. Kalappa signs the cheque
24. You can go to his house
25. You shouldn’t kill animals